Should you have an interest in this Position, please note the Title and Position# in the Subject line and email your resume to click here. Thank you.
Work Comp Underwriting Analyst
Location: Des Moines, IA
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree. May substitute acceptable experience or industry designations.
Other Requirements: Include:
- Successful candidate will be reliable, well organized, very detail oriented and have excellent communication skills. Must have ability to work efficiently and effectively with software products such as Microsoft Excel and Word to complete administrative tasks.
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Extensive technical skills and knowledge of underwriting acquired through on the job training and experience.
- Work to obtain additional certifications such as CPCU or AU desirable.
- Ability to compose and type correspondence, email and other documents using word processing software.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Substantial experience using computer software in Windows.
- Understanding of workers’ compensation insurance.
- Knowledge of underwriting theory and practical application, particularly in public sector operations.
- Knowledge of governmental entity operations.
- Interact with more than one department/division daily.
- Work with management team.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively both orally and in writing with a wide range of personalities.
- Motivation to stay up-to-date concerning trends in the insurance industry.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and interpret insurance contracts.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, Association members and agents as well as service providers.
- Ability to learn various software programs.
- Ability to develop reports, trend analysis of losses by various means, including job class code, account size, etc.
Salary Range: $40k to $50k Negotiable DOE
Description: Under the direction of the Director of Risk Services the position is responsible for the daily operations of the underwriting department. Other duties include creating various presentations, preparing and conducting training seminars and workshops, attending professional conferences and seminars. Functions include:
- Essential Functions:
- Process applications for membership. Gather and analyze background information to assess risk and decline excessive risk.
- Process member renewals and payroll audits.
- Maintain member underwriting files including all correspondence and other pertinent documents.
- Respond to member and agent underwriting and premium questions.
- Member outreach by answering phone calls, attend trade shows, and presenting to member as needed.
- Analyze the performance of our Client’s members.
- Develop reports for loss control and other Client staff.
- Maintain and manage underwriting software.
- Nonessential Functions:
- Assist with our Client’s Annual Conference and Exhibit.
- Assist with seminars/programs as needed, including transport, set up and tear down.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Travel throughout the state may be required.